Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Lucy Matz and Wiseguy at Devon: A Follow-Up to "Growing Up Matz"

Hello dear readers!

I know I owe you all a Tucker update, but will save that for another post.  Suffice it to say I've made some big changes lately, one of which has allowed me the freedom to do a lot more writing for Sidelines MagazineIn this month's issue, I wrote a really fun article about Lucy Matz, daughter of Olympian show jumper and Triple Crown trainer Michael Matz. 

By the way, have you subscribed to Sidelines yet?  No?  Well, you should -- I love it, and I'm not just saying that because my name is lucky enough to grace its pages these days.  Seriously, I keep mine with me all the time so I can read whenever I have a minute, and I end up reading it cover-to-cover every month.  If you don't have a subscription yet though, you are in luck, because you can read my article about Lucy for free here.  Check it out!

I had so much fun researching and writing this article.  Lucy is incredibly sweet and, like her dad, seriously humble about her success and her quasi-celebrity status.  As for her pony jumper Wiseguy, well, I think you know how Tucker and I both feel about adorable ponies.  He's a Connemara imported from Ireland, and he is pretty much the cutest guy ever:



Now put this pony in the Dixon Oval at Devon (you all know I think it's the most magical place on earth), making the pony jumpers look just like a mini-grand prix, and I am straight up in love.  And Lucy is a great little rider.  She is without a doubt one to watch as she moves up to the Junior Jumpers this year.

For the interview, I asked Lucy about her rounds at Devon with Wiseguy in the NAL pony jumpers.  In 2010, Lucy won the class, but Wiseguy was a little, um, exuberant... and it wasn't perfectly smooth.



In 2011, Lucy returned to Devon and was second in the NAL Pony Jumpers with Wiseguy.  Even though this round didn't deliver the blue, it is pretty flawless. 



When I asked Lucy which round she was more proud of (the winning round, or the better ride), she said she was happier with the 2011 round, where her pony was so good, even though it's nice to win.  I know the feeling.  Some of the ribbons on my wall (yes of course I still hang up my ribbons even though I am supposedly a grown up) that make me smile the biggest are yellow, white, or even purple, because they remind me of an awesome round or a great day with the big brown horse.

What about you?  What makes you happier, the blue ribbon, or the good ride? 

5 comments:

  1. (God I wish I could do the pony jumpers....)

    Having just come off a "great ride, crappy ribbon" show I gotta say that at this point in my adult career I'm *very* happy with the great ride. Of course that might be because the great rides have been hard fought and few and far between. It's possible I'd get a bit curmudgeonly if I'm blessed enough that the "great rides" feel "normal" and the ribbon still sucks... Ha.

    But for now, ride trumps ribbon every day and I hope I don't lose that perspective. A cooler here or there never hurts though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you're back!!

    Rides over ribbons, for sure. But ribbons don't hurt my feelings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ride over ribbon for sure! Love that article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to have you back! I can't wait to hear about the life changes and Tucker. And I will be greedy and say I want both! When in reality I'm currently getting neither. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss your return?!? Impossible! ;)

    (The good ride. Every time.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.