Monday, September 3, 2012

Tucker Fixes Everything!

Wow.  I'm so sorry, I let the entire month of August go by without even a word.  I hope you've all enjoyed the end of your summers... I'm still in trial hell, but there's light at the end of the tunnel at the moment, which means those of you who are still willing to follow along will be treated to much more frequent blog posts.  I promise!  I have about two more weeks of trial left, and then the dust should settle. 

The good news is, you didn't miss much on the Tucker front for the month of August.  The bad news is, that's because he was lame for most of the month.  Nothing major, he popped a splint on his right front, and although he was sound at first, he soon decided it really hurt.  (I'm pretty sure the other horses tipped him off that he could be getting a vacation and major sympathy points if he limped, so he did.)  It was actually perfect timing, I was too busy to ride, and he was too sore to work, so he just had a three week vacation of turnout and rest.  Thankfully (I can't stress that word enough), I have an amazing barn manager, Cindy, who took great care of him while I couldn't get there and treated the offending limb with surpass and ice.  He'll probably be left with an ugly bump on his leg, but let's face it, he wasn't exactly a conformation hunter to begin with.

This weekend we went back to (mostly walking) work, and I can't tell you the difference it has made in my general outlook on life.  I'm sort of glad that there haven't been too many witnesses for these rides. I don't think they're very pretty. I couldn't care less though. It feels so nice to be back on my horse, and I can't get enough of this view:


I tell you, Tucker fixes everything.  I was starting to get cranky, and irritable, and kind of depressed, focusing on all the wrong things and forgetting how lucky I am.  Three days of riding and currying and bathing and tack cleaning, and I am 100% better.  I have learned that I am definitely NOT the kind of girl who could ever give up the horses, not even temporarily. I'm completely and utterly miserable without my horse time.  This will be a lifelong affliction, I am afraid.  There are worse vices to have though!

As for Tucker, he was very happy to see me and has been incredibly affectionate and snuggly, which I just adore.  So nice to feel loved.  The first day I got there he was already out in his field, talking to his girls over the fence, and when I called his name he spun completely around and flung his head straight up in the air with his big old ears pointed right at me, and my heart just melted.  Then he met me at the gate and just couldn't get enough of sniffing my hair and snuffling my tummy and licking my hands....  A non-horse person would think this is completely nuts, but it actually brought tears to my eyes, I know you all can relate.

He's not so happy, on the other hand, about all the walking we are doing undersaddle.  If you recall, the last time we were recovering from an injury, all the walking resulted in him hacking into my blog and begging for help.  He's equally enthused about it this time, and keeps trying to see whether instead of leg yielding maybe I meant trot?  Or maybe instead of just one longside at a time, I might like to keep going around the ring a few times?  It's so tempting, because his trot feels great, but I don't want to push him too hard or make him sore, and I have to be the sensible one.  So we walk for about 40 minutes and trot for maybe a total of 5, spread out over the course of the ride, and only in straight lines for now.

I'm trying to keep him entertained at the walk with lateral work and lots of circles and changes of direction.  The first time I asked for a leg yield, it felt like I was riding one of those two-person horse halloween costumes, I'd either get the front or the back to move, but not in unison.  Today's ride saw some slight improvement in that area, though I'm pretty sure we'd still fail a field sobriety test with our walk down the centerline (in his defense, he's not entirely sober.  I've been giving him a little bit of Ace to make sure he doesn't pull any stunts and hurt himself).  He finds all of this mind-numbingly boring, though he does appreciate all the praise he gets for doing work that really isn't very difficult.

Last time this program got him looking really muscled up and nice by the time we were done, so let's hope the same will be true this time:


It's good to be back, readers and bloggers.  I may not have time to catch up on everyone's blogs this week, but hopefully next week.  I can't wait to see what you and your lovely horses have been up to!

10 comments:

  1. Glad all is (mostly) well - I've been bringing Red back into work after a tendon/ligament thing and he's also doing well. Splints generally heal well and once they're healed, they may leave that bump but there are usually no further soundness issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he's all better and can go back to providing you with pony therapy <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear from you guys again! I had a mare that popped a splint and it was pretty big at first. Thankfully it got smaller with time. I'm sure his will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Convenient how he timed that. Well done, tucktuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering what black hole swallowed you guys up... trial makes plenty 'o sense. :)

    Welcome back, and glad to hear that Tucker's on the physical mend and you're on the mental mend!! I was desperately worried that the only Hunter Princess I really *know* would still be MIA for my recognized debut with the big mare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope he is doing better! :) Don't they always pick the "best" time to do things?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope Tucker continues to mend quickly. Glad you are back in business so to speak! This is one of my favorite blogs and it was sorely missed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, those ponies of ours certainly do fix all! I had winter off (other side of the world!) but I still had to look after Sam so at least I still had the smell and touch of him but I had a break from riding. I started again 2 weeks ago and OMG I missed riding so bad! It feels so could to be back on board and looking as those fluffy ears!!!
    ENJOY TUCKER and I hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm, we need a Tucker update before another month has passed.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marissa,
    Don't know if you have talked to your cousin Lou lately, but when he and I saw each other at our Mater Dei Prep reunion two weeks ago, we discovered a real "it's a small world" connection. I mentioned that I have a horse blog (mylifeasarider.blogspot.com) and he said, "My cousin has one, it's called Tucker the Wunderkind," and I said, "I READ THAT!" :-) We were pretty tickled.

    As I said, I knew Lou all the way through H.S. and we have been back in touch via Facebook for a couple years. It was great to see him again in person! As another humorous coincidence, we figured out my kids went to his water park last summer... my mom has a place in Normandy Beach so even though I live in STL, we make it down the Shore every year.

    Anyway, keep up the great writing and I'm glad Tucker is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.