Sunday, January 15, 2012

Update on Mclain Ward

In case you haven't heard about this yet, Mclain Ward suffered a shattered kneecap (though originally reported as a broken femur) in a fall during the Grand Prix in Wellington yesterday.  For the full story, please read yesterday's post first.

I haven't been able to find too much news yet, but there is an update reported on the COTH thread. According to someone who spoke with Lee McKeever (Mclain's barn manager, and one of the members of Sapphire's "team"), Mclain's surgery went very well last night, three of the four parts of the fracture are now held together with wires and pins, and another piece was removed.  At this point, Mclain's doctors are estimating eight to ten weeks of no weight bearing, and a total of twelve weeks before riding.

Of course, the biggest question on everyone's mind right now is the Olympics, and whether one of the strongest members of our team will be able to participate.  Given the schedule above, it doesn't sound like Mclain will be riding before the Olympic trials in March, but at this point that's speculation, and I am going to remain optimistic where one of my heroes is concerned.

Even if the trials don't happen, there is still a chance Mclain will be able to participate.  As this Star-Ledger article pointed out, "[i]f Ward misses the trials but heals after that, he could still have a shot at the team as a subjective choice, provided he is able to ride and do well in a series of observation shows during the spring."  If anyone can pass a subjective test, it's Mclain Ward.  A Phelps Sports article issued this evening also stated that it's possible that Mclain will receive a bye to perform in the Olympics, given that Sapphire ("Sara") has two gold medals and Antares F ("Andy") has a gold medal from the Pan Am games.

I am not going to give up hope.  An athlete of his caliber certainly has access to the best medical care and all possible advantages for a speedy recovery.  For now, I simply wish Mclain a quick return to health and the horses and sport that he loves.

4 comments:

  1. I think the key word you mentioned is "athlete". I believe the fact that he was already in great shape, he will recover quicker than most. Best wishes to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I didn't even think about that. I'm sure he'll be ready in time--he has to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is a awesome and I always enjoy the insights you share. I have given you the Liebster Blog Award :) Check it out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it's not your first, but I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster award in my latest post! www.galsandhorses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment (I love reading them) as long as you are respectful and kind, and only use language you'd use in front of your grandma. Thanks!