Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ride for the Cure!

For the past few years, I have participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, which is a 5K to raise money for breast cancer education, screening, and research.  For a few years, I was even the Team Captain for my old law firm (Go Pink Peppers!)  Every year during the walk, I say that I should be doing it on horseback.  Turns out that in the past few years, some states have begun to organize Rides for the Cure, and this year New Jersey joins the ranks.  So, I formed a team and I am hoping some of my rider friends in the area will join me!

The event is a one or three hour trail ride, starting around 8 a.m. on October 16, 2011.  There's no registration fee, but each rider must commit to raise $300 by September 23rd.  Once you register, it's easy to seek donations through the pre-written emails that the Komen Foundation provides.  If you're interested, you can get more details through the link at the top of my side bar.

This is a cause near and dear to me, as someone I care very much about is a two-time breast cancer survivor (and I now have a favorite barnmate who is also a survivor!).  Additionally, one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.  75% of all proceeds benefit local breast cancer education and screening programs.  Last year, the affiliate invested $1.4 million into the local community to reach 45,000 women from Somerset to Cape May.  The remaining 25% will support innovative breast cancer research bringing us closer to the cure. 

I hope you and your horses will join me on the Ride (or if you are far away, please consider supporting my team)!  Just think of how fun it will be to dress the ponies up in pink and ride through the woods!  Can't you picture the Wunderkind's giant ears in a pink bonnet???

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I think Tucker would look absolutely lovely in a pink bonnet (heehee). I wish my area had a Ride for the Cure because I would definitely participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super cool! I should see if they have the same thing in Oregon. If we weren't so far away Roz and I would join you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO cool!! I wonder if they do one near me? I've done the walk before w/ my girlfriends but a RIDE for the cure would be even better!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.