Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Things We Do for Love

There is nothing like treating a horse's injuries to remind us of how much we love them.  So much, in fact, that we are willing to completely and utterly humiliate ourselves in CVS.

I plan to get some elasticon on Thursday, when the tack shop is open later, which I'll use to make an extra large "band aid" over top of my regular gauze (not all the way around the hock, so as not to constrict the joint).  So, I just needed some supplies until then. 

So I found these at CVS (hoofpick included to give you a sense of scale):


These actually fit pretty well over the injured area.  I don't think they are sticky enough to stay on without a standing wrap over top, but hopefully they'll stay in place beneath the wrap better than just a plain piece of gauze (which didn't stay).


Speaking of which, it was looking a bit better today, although I'm not so sure that I want his hock to permanently have its mouth open like this.  While he is not a conformation hunter, I would rather this look a little prettier.  Still, it's better than yesterday. No bleeding today.


Where was I?  Oh yes, CVS.  So, I get up to the counter with my three huge pieces of self-adhesive non-stick gauze, and hand them over.  The guy behind the counter looks at them, looks at me, and asks "Are you okay?"

"Oh, they're not for me," I explain, "they're for my horse."  He eyes me quizzically. "Well they do say 'All-Purpose,'" I say, smiling.  He doesn't get the joke.

"What's wrong with it?" he asks.  He still hasn't started ringing me up.  Apparently, he is concerned that he may have to call the Humane Society or something.  I can see his wheels turning.

"He cut himself," I tell him, hoping that the inquisition is going to end and I'm going to get to leave soon, and actually make use of the self-adhesive non-stick gauze I am trying to purchase. 

"So, shouldn't you like, call a vet or something?"  Suddenly, he is an expert in equine veterinary care.

"She's seen him," I sigh, slightly exasperated by having to defend myself to the CVS cashier.  "He had stitches, and then after we took them out, the wound split open again, so we're just keeping it bandaged while it heals."  Why am I now feeling the need to explain the entire situation to him?  Do I really think this kid is going to call the Humane Society?

At this point, he literally raised his eyebrows at me and sort of shook his head, and proceeded to ring up my order.  By the time I was back in my truck, I was already laughing and thinking about how I couldn't wait to tell this story on the blog.  Judgy McJudgerson at the CVS probably isn't a follower, but just in case: lighten up dude. 

I tried to get some cute pictures of Tucker tonight, but they were mostly fails:

The infamous headless horse

But this is my really cute face...
doesn't this deserve another mint?

I hear the train a comin'
It's rollin' 'round the bend,
And I ain't seen the sunshine,
Since, I don't know when...

6 comments:

  1. I hope those bandages help out... His leg looks a bit better so hopefully it keeps heading in that direction!

    Too funny about the CVS dude! I had a similar problem with a pharmacy assistant when I had to get eyedrops for my horse. She asked me how old "my son Rusty" was and when I said I wasn't sure, she looked at me like I was the worst mother in the world! I couldn't help but laughing and made up an age. I then had to explain to her what DVM meant on the prescription!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like things are improving - you even passed your inquisition. Some old remedies still work best - once it is tightly scabbed over and healing well, slather it with Corona to minimize scarring. I swear that stuff will grow hair on a rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha.

    You should have said something like, "Broom handle. I don't want to talk about it," and left him wondering... without mentioning the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, wow. Way to be awkward pharmacy guy. Sometimes it's just best not to ask. You'd think he would know that by now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Dom... OR you should have grabbed a bevy of random drug store items... like Bandages, tampons, rubbing alcohol, laxatives and a bag a pretzels... now THAT would have been a conversation ;)

    in other news, at least Tucker can always fall back on his career as a model!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about the looks you get when buying diapers....for your horse. Or HUGE pads...sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.