Monday, April 4, 2011

Sorry Tucker...

Ick.  I got a call from Allison on Sunday that Tucker's cut wasn't looking very good.  She sent me a picture and it was definitely split back open, and bleeding a little.  Not good.  I had cleaned it out on Saturday and was already concerned that the flap wasn't adhering, which was allowing tiny debris to get trapped in the cut, a recipe for infection.  But I cleaned it out and slathered with triple antibiotic, as instructed, and hoped for the best.  Apparently at some point on Saturday afternoon/night he must have rolled in just the right way and torn the cut back open again.  Ugh. 




I was with my family celebrating my grandfather's birthday, so this news was met with a lot of "why is that horse of yours always getting hurt?" and "does this mean you are leaving now?  We haven't even sat down to dinner yet." and "what's this going to cost you?"  Very difficult to hold your tongue in these situations, isn't it?  You want to snap back something about how your horse actually in the grand scheme of things does not hurt himself too frequently, and we should all just be happy this injury is so minor, and I don't really care what it costs me as long as he is okay, and yes I very much would like to go take care of him but I know it would only further alienate you all from my horse so I'll just stay here and stare at my phone all day, okay?  ...But then you realize your grandmother is 88, and she's really very sweet, and she just wants to spend the day with you.  So you hold your tongue, and play nice, and pretend your mind isn't elsewhere all day.

I texted my vet (who is awesome, and very accessible for these kinds of things), and sent her the picture above, and asked if there was anything we could do, and whether she needed to see him.  She said there wasn't really anything to be done (we can't restitch it at this point, since there's not enough skin to debride), so no need for an emergency Sunday vet call.  But, she wants him in his stall for the week, no turnout, no handwalks, no riding... a little hand grazing if he can stay quiet.  Basically, she wants him to walk as little as possible, because every time he moves his leg, he prevents the cut from closing.  She also wants us to keep it wrapped so it stays clean, but advised that the hock area is very sensitive to tight bandaging, so be sure the bandage is lightly applied. 

So I texted Cindy (my other barn manager), explained our vet's instructions, and apologized.  My horse is once again going to be the most obnoxious kid in the barn this week, so I promised wine.  Lots of wine.  Then Allison and I talked again, she agreed to take care of the wrapping, and I told her where all the supplies are located in my trunk (triple antibiotic, nonstick gauze, standing wraps).  Despite the frustration of not being able to be there myself, I really was grateful to have someone there who I trusted to take good care of him.  Here is her excellent wrapping job:


Now how is that for service?  Not only takes care of him, but sends you photographic evidence too?  Such peace of mind for a neurotic mother like me. 

Sigh.  I'm really sorry Tucker.  This week is going to suck.  But it's only a week (hopefully), and although you don't know it, you could have it much, much worse.  There are horses who have hurt themselves and then ended up stuck in their stalls for months at a time.  Just imagine that (I know you can't).  And please, please try not to destroy the barn or drive anyone nuts.  I know it won't be easy... but could you try to remember your manners, for me?

Now, off I go to check out Brooke's facebook post about 101 Things to Do with Your Stall Bound Horse.

6 comments:

  1. Poor Tucker... every time he tries to be macho, you wrap him up and post pictures of his blog. ;-) Hope he's ok.

    Boo about family gatherings. My in laws think I'm a barrel racer. That is the only way they think girls can show horses. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby. But how lucky are you (and Tucker) that you have a great vet and barn owner to look after him in your absence!

    Be a good boy, Tucker, and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great that you had help and if that bandage doesn't keep it clean nothing will. My family doesn't get horses, but the one time I said to someone that my family isn't horsey... well lets just say it hit the fan. Biting your tongue is good and I'm sure your grandmother was glad you stayed. Hopefully Tucker will heal before he decides to tunnel out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tucker!!! That's not how we go about 'healing smoothly'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Tucker but Really Poor Marissa (and Farm manager to such a high maintenance boy) :) get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! And it was healing so well...
    Family. First words are not "I'm so sorry he's hurt, is he okay?" it's "How much is THIS going to cost?"
    Nice wrap job. Fantastic she sent a photo.
    I'd suggest getting him a pet goat, but that could turn out badly.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.