Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Nothing Exciting to Report...

... but that's a good thing! 

Tucker and I went for a very uneventful bareback ride this evening, which was delightful.  I decided that there was really no need for a saddle and I really do prefer the option of having heated seats... so, I kept his wool cooler on, tossed a quarter sheet over my legs, and we wandered around the arena for about half an hour all bundled up.  I tried to keep him going in a somewhat working walk as much as possible, but he has a pretty short attention span when it comes to the "working walk" so I alternated between letting him wander on a loose rein and asking him to actually go in a bit of a frame and track up a little.  Not exactly strenuous exercise, but it's better than nothing.

I got this lovely picture of him today from the barn manager, who took him out for some hand grazing.  The caption was "Shoveling in the grass!"  Made me so happy to see him out in the sunshine and munching away in the middle of my work day.  This does not appear to be a horse that is particularly stressed about anything....

And here is the hock as of tonight, post-cleansing.  Other than a little pink coloration in the flap of skin that was stitched back on, it hasn't changed.  Anyone have any thoughts on why it would be pinkish? It may be slightly less swollen in general than it was.  There is no tenderness or soreness around the stitches, no oozing, and his temp is normal, so at this point I'm not too worried about infection but obviously I'm keeping a close eye on it. 


Funny tidbit for you... I have a separate folder under "My Pictures" labeled "Injuries," mostly so that when I go into my "Tucker" folder to show people pictures of my horse, I'm not scrolling through what appears to be a series of pictures of a horse who has seen live combat.  (Of course, I still have to explain why there's a picture of a baby giraffe in the Tucker folder.)  It's kind of funny to browse it though, and see all the various and sundry ways my horse has tried to destroy himself, all gathered together in one gruesome collection.

Sigh.  There is a reason that I call him boo-boo.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad Tucker is still looking like his happy self! Not sure why it could be pink, I'm not an expert on gross ouchy wounds! Hopefully I never will be:). It looks pretty good though, glad the swelling seems to be going down! Hope he feels better soon! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the healing process is uneventful thus far. Let's keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your folder of his combat pics, you should put them up sometimes. At our place if I did that it would look like we run a MASH unit for the army.

    Anyway glad he's doing well. I'm not a vet or even that good at injuries but the pink skin MIGHT and I say MIGHT because I don't know, might be healthy tissue with good circulation healing the wound. If it starts to worry you call the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eek..hate the way stitches look. Creepy. Poor Tucker but also, LUCKY Tucker!
    Yesterday I was thinking of his injury as the mini was biting, biting, biting Laz at his hocks. ohboy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God I'm not the only one who takes pictures of injuries. Separate folder, what a novel idea. (I like to hang with the people with brains.)

    His boo-boo looks awesomely well and healing. Surprising there's no swelling. But we don't questions Good News! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.