Friday, March 18, 2011

How Did You Get Your First Horse?

This post is in response to today's questionnaire at TLH:
  • How Did You Get Your First Horse? (This can also be "How did you get your first steady ride?")
  • Was it easy or hard?
  • What did getting your first horse involve?
  • Did you already know something about horses?
  • How old were you?
The story of how I bought my first horse is well documented on the blog (see, e.g., "Do you remember the moment") ... but my first steady ride was a fabulous little pinto pony who my mother somehow managed to half-lease for me. I still remember what she wrote on my 10th birthday card: "I wanted to make one wish come true, so your love Puzzle is leased for you." Money was tight, so this was a really, really big deal, and I knew it. I remember crying big huge tears of joy and my family being totally shocked at the reaction.

I loved Puzzle more than life itself, the way that only a horse-crazy little girl can love a naughty little pony. I thought about him constantly. I dreamt about him. Told complete strangers about him. When I wasn't riding him, grooming him, hanging out in his stall, or playing in his field, I was drawing pictures of him and writing stories about him. I pretended my "Misty of Chincoteague" Breyer was him. I cantered around the dining room jumping imaginary jumps, pretending I was riding him in a Grand Prix.

In truth, he wasn't all that fancy but he was a good jumper, and when he didn't buck me off or run away with me (which was a pretty common occurrence -- apparently he found me kind of annoying when I wasn't feeding him treats), we managed to get some good ribbons at some pretty big shows. It was a lot of hard work to help pay for it, but that pony was hands-down the absolute best part of my childhood.

It's true what they say, you never forget your first love.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely story. What a lucky girl you were to be able to live your dream so young!! For our family vacations, we used to drive from Ontario to Newfoundland - a 2-3 day trek. My position in the back seat was behind the front passenger so I could look out the window and pretend there was a big black horse galloping beside me on the shoulder. Funny how I ended up with a big, black horse. It was meant to be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first horse for my 24th Birthday. I had worked my butt off at a private barn. I was pretty much the barn manager, barn slave. I did it all, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The day of my 23rd Birthday, my boss called me and said that he had left me my birthday present on the table in the barn. When I got out there a big fat envelope was waiting for me. I opened it up and it was signed transfer papers for my favorite horse at his barn. I bawled like a baby then ran up and gave MY new horse a big hug. Every year for my birthday I had asked for a horse, it just took a little longer than I thought it would have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...
    Can so see it, feel it. I had that feeling for my rotten first horse. I adored her picky, moody, tricky, unload-my-owner self.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.