Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

The Literary Horse is doing something fun this week... Reader questionnaires. Go check it out, today's question is "What is your first memory of a horse?"  I posted mine in the comments, a very special memory of a big anonymous horse that I met at a park.  I was probably around 4 years old, but I remember that moment clear as a bell.  Talk about a life-changing experience!  Can you imagine?  If I hadn't approached that horse, who knows if I'd even be telling you all these stories about the Wunderkind?  Maybe I would have developed an affection for bunnies, or hampsters, or iguanas? 

Haha, doubtful.  I think there is some kind of recessive horse gene that I'm carrying.  None of my family members have any particular interest in equines, though they do politely inquire about "Taylor?  Tyler?  That's right, Tucker," as he is affectionately called by most of them.  I did apparently have a grandfather on the Irish side of my lineage who rode horses, though I never met him.  Perhaps that's where all this came from.

So, in honor of my half-Irish heritage, I'm sharing my favorite Irish blessing.  I've always thought this was particularly fitting for horse people, and often imagined that someday when I have a beautiful barn to call my own, I will have this inscribed somewhere.

“May the road rise up to meet you,

May the wind be ever at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

And the rain fall softly on your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.”




Hope you all have a happy and safe St. Patrick's day.  Don't overdo it with the green beer now!  It's a school night, after all....

2 comments:

  1. Mora na maidine dhuit! Lovely blessing and would be perfect inscribed in your barn. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that saying too, there are so many great Irish sayings it's hard to choose favorites. I'm not Irish but my husband is, no green beer for us but maybe some corned beef for dinner. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.