Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Julie's First Report Card

So, I woke up this morning to an email from Celia at Stones Throw Farm telling me that Julie is getting an A+ so far!  She very quickly learned to lunge, and is now lunging at the walk, trot, and canter wearing a bit and a surcingle.  Go little girl, go! 

Celia said that she put the western saddle on her for the first time yesterday and walked her around in it (don't worry sweetie, your saddles will be much lighter in the future!).  I think that means that we're getting closer to having a person in that saddle... all very exciting.  So far Celia says things are going great, and she hopes that all her young ones are that easy this year!  (That seems like a really good sign!)

I am cautiously optimistic about this whole thing, praying that she will continue to be quiet and good so that I will be able to ride her myself for at least the first year or so.  When given the chance, I spiral into a frenzy of anxiety that goes something like this:  what I will do if she's not easy enough for me to ride and I have to put her in full training with Alicia... since I'm not sure how I'll afford that and still compete with Tucker... which then leads me to wonder how I'm ever going to afford two horses showing and training... but that's a few years down the road so maybe by then I will have figured it out?  Hopefully?  (But how?)  My plan was always that I'd continue getting paid more so that by the time Jules was ready to horse show, I'd have the extra funds... but then of course the economy crashed, and salaries froze, and I moved to a smaller firm, and now I'm going to be the little old lady that lives in her horse trailer.  (Just to give you a taste of what it's like inside my brain sometimes.  Sorry if you're all dizzy and a little nauseous now.)

Let's not think about all that right now, shall we?  Let's just be happy and thankful that my gorgeous little girl is an A+ student (she gets that from me) and the Wunderkind is a wunderkind, and all that....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

11 comments:

  1. Glad Julie is doing so well! Take it one day at a time - things will most likely find their way to working out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray Julie! She's so pretty and it sounds like she has the brain to match it. You are a lucky, lucky girl and I'm sure things will work themselves out. Don't stress too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big proponent of putting faith in the saying "It'll all shake itself out". I justify a lot of things I do in the present by saying I'll be able to figure out how to afford them in the future. The future me will surely be that much wiser and more successful, right?

    Enjoy the ride. (no pun ;) )It all works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quit my 'dream job' and big bucks a few years ago, and then went way out on a limb to buy my 3rd horse Rogo. I didn't have a firm plan for how we'd manage (this isn't like me), but just followed my heart. It's all worked out for the better.
    You're well educated and hard working. This will all work so enjoy. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...this is great news. Enjoy the good report. The rest will work itself out in time, it always does! I doubt you'd need to put her in F/T. You're such a good rider I would imagine she'd could prob go along similar to Pong, where you can do half training for a little bit and then move to just one ride + a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about Julie.

    Money is one thing, about what about time and energy? I've heard being a lawyer can be a little on the demanding side (understatement of the year?), do you have room in your schedule for twice as much riding? I have no doubt that you could make it work, but I think the question is if you want to and why.

    There's no right or wrong answer, just like everyone else said, everything will work out. Best of luck and I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait a second, I just re-read your post and noticed that you were not asking for the trolls of the internet to weigh in on your life :) Sorry for the unsolicited input.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that she's doing well. Sounds to me like you'll have nothing to worry about in that department. Sometimes I worry about being an old woman living out of her horse trailer too, oh wait, that is me when I travel to horse shows. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you ever read this -- http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pd -- ? (The "original" paper starts on page 5.) I'm not trying to be inflammatory; I just don't understand why people start horses under saddle so young (especially with the evidence of all the damage it can cause).
    Just some food for thought. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.equinestudies.org/ranger_2008/ranger_piece_2008_pdf1.pdf
    Sorry, the other link got cut off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link Frizzle, always good to read another perspective. I believe in getting young horses going lightly undersaddle as 2 year olds for a few months, just basic walk trot canter work a few days a week, and keeping the rides short and sweet. Then they get the rest of the year off to keep growing and start back into light work as 3 year olds in the summer, and again get the fall and winter off until they are 4. It's what has always worked for me and has seemed to benefit the horses I've worked with, though I don't profess to be an expert.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.