Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Photos and Bareback Rides


It's ridiculously hot and humid today, though we did have a summer storm this afternoon which cooled things down slightly. And, just to prove that he really is a wunderkind, my boy headed straight for the stream to cool off when he was turned out for the night. How cute is he? (Excuse the bad cell phone pic, I didn't make it to the barn tonight but a friend was kind enough to share this with me!)

I also have some great pics to share from around the farm at home.  I've been taking Montel for bareback walks in the evenings around the hay field and around the permiter of the pastures, and he just loves it.  Pretty sure no one has ever ridden him bareback before, but he took to it immediately.  He's no longer sound enough to do anything more than walk, but he seems to really enjoy our little trips around the property.  I ride him bareback in a halter and lead, with his fly mask on, and I'm pretty sure even the halter is superfluous at this point because he knows our route and he's more than happy to march around.  I love that he seems so into his "job" even if all it entails is a trail walk. 

The cutest thing is that his attitude toward me has totally changed now.  Before, I was just some girl that showed up and delivered the treats.  He didn't know I could ride.  Now that I'm his rider, he's got a whole new level of respect for me.  He's even been more affectionate lately, which just amazes me.  The first time I rode him, when I got off he started licking my arms up and down (even though he's never shown much affection toward me before).  It was the most clear "thank you" I've ever gotten from a horse.  Although he's enjoying retirement, I think he's happy to feel like he's got something to do.  I'm sure, after being a show horse his whole life, that he really did miss being ridden.  Just to keep his mind occupied, once in awhile I'll ask him to leg yield for a step or two.  (He rolls his eyes at my simpleness, humors me, and complies.)  He even let me kiss his nose this evening, although probably only because no one was around.

So, when the evenings are cool enough, we go for our walks and then graze on the front lawn under the mulberry tree so we can both snack.  As his mother put it, he's a true German, and prefers to stay inside during the heat of the day, and venture forth in the cool of the evenings. 


Somehow, doesn't he even make a blue leadrope and a big black fly mask look distinguished?

7 comments:

  1. He's very cute and nice that he's warmed up to you now that you've given him a pleasant job to do that he can do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a handsome devil. No doubt about it.
    Love that he's standing in the classic hunter show the legs photo position. Clearly a show horse!

    Lovely you have given him a job he enjoys, and makes him look proud and regal. You look good up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks amazing. Sounds like a fun way to spend the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a perfect fun ride on a total gentleman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that he said "thank you". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Montel is a very beautiful boy - do you feel honhoured that he is happy to share is regalness with you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maris-- he reminds me so much of Balth and even looks like him! In his retirement, Balth is now the barn trail horse--two girls at a time on him with just a halter and leadrope. He goes in the river and everything! Who would have thought the vicious cross-tie beast would ever calm down :-)

    Miss you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.