Friday, April 2, 2010

Visit with Keizer

So begins my effort to catch up on all the posts I've been meaning to write for the past few weeks....

My visit with Keizer was wonderful.  I wasn't sure if he would remember me, but according to this article there's a good chance that he did.  The big man looked absolutely beautiful, as always.  He had the same sweet look in his eye, and he is still completely people-oriented, outgoing and sweet.  Getting to hug him and pat him and scratch his itchy spots and kiss his soft muzzle and feed him mints felt like coming home.  Such heaven. 

To find him and then see him after so many years is a wonderful surprise.  To see him so well taken care of, happy and comfortable and healthy and sound, is just more than I could have hoped for.  I loved talking to his new owner and hearing everything about his past few years, what he's accomplished, how he's changed, and what is still the same.  Turns out that as a gelding he can be a little bit fresh, whereas when he was a stallion he was always too laid back to be bothered with anything that required extra energy.  Kind of interesting.  I wonder if he was mad that we stole his manhood?

It's been really fun to see how many little mannerisms and habits that Keizer and Tucker share.  A lot of Tucker's little habits (like holding up one front leg when he eats, for example) he got from his mom, which makes sense because he spent his first 5 months by her side.  But the little quirks that he shares with Keizer are purely genetic which is pretty cool.  For example, they both make this little gulping noise sometimes.  I notice it all the time with Tucker, especially when he's nervous (like when he first gets off the trailer at a horse show), but I had forgotten that Keizer did that too until I heard it again.  They also both do funny things with their lips and have very expressive mouths.  Tucker twists his lips to the left a little while you ride so he ends up with a ton of foam on the left side of his mouth and just a tiny little bit on the right.

I also found out that Keizer was on the cover of Practical Horseman once, so hopefully if I get a copy of that I can share it with you all.  For now, you'll have to make do with my amateur photo efforts.  I'm afraid the shots aren't great because he was too interested in picking my pockets to stand still for very long.  There are about a dozen that ended up being fuzzy close-ups of his muzzle as he wandered closer to me again, which I'm kindly going to spare you.







Hope you enjoy the pics!  I know they aren't exactly posed glamour shots, but I still love them because I just can't get enough of that sweet face.  I'm already trying to figure out when I can make it back out for another visit. 

Other upcoming backlogged posts on the way...  Stay tuned...

13 comments:

  1. um PRACTICAL freakin HORSEMAN?!?!?! soooo cool, you MUST track down and share immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks very sweet and contented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for him that they gelded him when he was done breeding. It just seems like a much better life for a horse, so he got the best of both worlds.

    Of course, he might see if differently. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...is he a total beaut! How fun of a visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great adventure! Nice to see him so healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see the practical horseman cover! That's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great looking boy! I would love to see the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just too kissable if you ask me! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is so gorgeous! I'm so glad you were able to track him down & see how he's retired. He looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tucker's Daddy!! I love the first photo, especially. He's one heck of a handsome dude. Great stripe, love how it crooks off, and really looks wonderfully taken care of. You must be THRILLED.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He looks very sweet and happy to see you. Glad you got to visit him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, Hello?????? Everything ok?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.