Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ice boots: Reader opinions?

So I want to get Tucker a set of ice boots.  Nothing wrong with him, but our vet says they are the best thing you can do for a horse's tendons after he jumps hard.  I have borrowed Alicia's set twice now (once after the free jumping session, and again after the 3'6" gymnastic).  I love the way his legs looked afterward and I thought this would be a great solution for horse shows.  For some reason, even though Tucker wears wraps just fine in his stall overnight, he doesn't like to be shipped in wraps so he stomps his legs in the trailer if he's wrapped.  So, I can't wrap him until we get home, and sometimes that's hours later.  But if I had ice boots with me (in a cooler, obviously), I could ice him while I was packing up and closing out, etc., and then pull the ice boots right before we hit the road.  Then I can wrap him as usual when we get home as usual, but this way I'll be taking care of those precious legs right afer he jumps.

But then I went to Dover to buy them and I heard my credit card gasp from its hiding place in my purse.  These things ain't cheap!  Note:  That's the price for a set of two.  The upside of these is that I know that they work.  The downside... It's just a neoprene pouch with some pockets for ice packs.  Surely there must be a cheaper option?  So I put my research skills to work and started looking around.

First I ran a seach for "compression ice pack."  You'd be amazed how many doctors recommend using frozen peas for a sprained ankle.  The first option I found is for humans, but I like the description of the ice packs, they are supposed to be soft and pliable which I think would be nice on his legs.  It's made by Polar Products, Inc. and only $21.95 each, which is a lot more like it.  This appears to be pretty well made and I'm sure it would be comfortable for him. The ice packs are 6" by 9", and there are two, so I'm guessing it's about 12" across and 9" tall.  That would definitely be wide enough to wrap around the back and side of his tendons, but maybe not all the way around his leg.  9 inches might be a little short though, especially on his hind legs.  I wrap his legs in 12" standing wraps and they are exactly the length of his tendons behind and slightly long in front.  (Yes, I probably should buy shorter ones for the front but these were free, and you know I can't pass up a sale, let alone a gimme.)

Then I started searching for "equine ice pack" and found Elite Kold Equine Ice Leg Ice Wraps.  These seem like a plausible option.    Note, this price is only for one, but it's still quite a bit cheaper.  $28.95 each versus $41.45 each.  (Wow, a blog first:  Marissa does math!)  I feel better about the fact that they are made for horses.  Not crazy about the bright blue color but I guess I can live with it.  The fact that there are 4 ice inserts could be good or bad.  Might be a pain to load them up, but also might be easier to fit in the freezer and provide a more flexible fit.  I am a little concerned that they are this much cheaper though.  Does that mean they'll fall apart?  Or are they just not as well advertised? 

Reader opinions?  Do I spend full price on the ones that I know work?  Do I go for the cheapest ones even though they are made for humans?  Do I go for the bright blue compromise?

8 comments:

  1. Way out of my league. But I know who to ask for an opinion! Will report back when I get a reply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep same, never used them. We are useless useless followers :(
    I think Tucker could totally pull off a bright blue. He will make look stylish.

    I will ask around the barn today though. We have several jumpers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used a version of Polar Products wrap on myself! :-) I use it all the time (unfortunately) and it works. It may be a cost-effective solution for Tucker. The velcro keeps it securely wrapped around your leg or arm. I had to wrap it quite tightly on my leg to make sure it stayed put, so I am not sure if that would be an issue for Tucker. I picked mine up at the drug store. Perhaps you could check there and at least get an idea of size, etc???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Frist Ice boots, I like them, I dont love them. The coverage sometimes is inconsistent. I know this is going to sound silly, but my favorite way to ice is this...
    Buy 4 large icepacks at your drug store (OR just buy the first ice ice packs from dover, skip buying the boot part). If you buy them from the drug store make sure they're the flexible gel kind (CVS sells "peas" ones that are pretty cool). Lay the frozen pack in a regular horse boot (I use my fluffy dressagey boots) and strap them on your horse. Easy Peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you got this over where you are?
    http://esvc000033.wic025u.server-web.com/prod/gen/equinice.shtm

    Equi-n-ice I love it! Weird stuff as you don't feel the leg get cold but try it on yourself before you use it and you will feel the cold go right through to your bone and once you take the bandage off it stays cold for up to 30min after!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys... I think I'm leaning toward the blue ones. I realized that I can order 10" ones for the front and 12" for the hind, and I like that option. Nina -- we don't have that here but it looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. I'm loving Nicku's option. I'll so do that if I ever need ice boots.

    ^Which is to say, I've never used them and have no useful opinion. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im not sure this is a cheaper (or better) option, BUT this is what I used back when I was showing alll the time. The ice cells are fabulous and can be used very versatilely and the boots doubled in functionality as well.

    http://www.profchoice.com/htmldocs/prd/protgear/prd/smbii.html

    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4209d32f-7cc9-4041-90e3-ea13930f0215

    its looking like 70-80 for this particular set but I just quickly google searched for the items, I am positive you can get them less expensively.

    good luck. Tuck will appreciate I am certain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.