Thursday, March 11, 2010

Found Keizer!

No, no, not the town in Oregon.  (Though I'm not sure I do know where that is come to think of it.)

I found Tucker's daddy! 

I had brunch earlier this year with Keizer's former owner and she told me Keizer had gone down to college in Savannah, GA and that from what she knew he was retired.  So, on a whim, several months later, I emailed Savannah's coach and explained who I am (Keizer's former groom, owner of his son, etc.) asked her to please pass my email along to Keizer's current owners.  Today I got a very nice email from her and she shared his owner's email with me.

So, at the risk of seeming somewhat crazy, I emailed this complete stranger and told her I used to be Keizer's groom, I now own his son, and would love to hear how he's doing.  While I awaited a response, I began checking the travel sites to see how much a roundtrip ticket to GA would cost this time of year.  Sent a text to a horse friend:  "Is it crazy to spend $500 on a flight to GA to see Keizer?"  Response:  "No I don't think that's crazy."  Gotta love your horse friends.

A few hours later, I got an email back from Keizer's owner who told me he is doing great and living at her parents' farm in PA (much closer than GA!).  We emailed back and forth all afternoon and I learned that Keizer is still sound and stays in light work, still gets jealous when you pay attention to other horses, and still goes through mints like a garbage disposal.  Some things never change.  The best part of all this is that Keizer lives less than an hour away from me!  Who would have guessed?  This whole time I've been picturing him living the good life down South, and all the while he's been living the good life in my own back yard.  His current owner has very graciously offered to let me come and see him next weekend.  I absolutely cannot wait to throw my arms around his neck.

She was kind enough to share some photos of him with me. I can see a family resemblance. He and Tucker have the same eyes and the same muzzle. Tucker's ears are just slightly bigger but they both have the curly tips. Keizer is definitely a bit fancier, but Tucker gets his heart of gold straight from him.



My love for Keizer is only slightly surpassed by my love for Tucker.  He is one in a million.  Sweet, well-mannered, patient, and willing.  Even as a stallion, he was always one of the easiest horses I've ever worked around.  He was a true gentleman, an amazing athlete, and a bit of a goof ball.  (Sound like anyone else you know?  Apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. . . .) 

It makes me so incredibly happy to know that he is well cared for and has people who love him and spoil him.  I was a little worried when I started tracking him down.  You never know what path a horse's life might have taken, and Keizer is a late teenager now so I wasn't sure how his health would be.  Thankfully, I am overjoyed to say that he seems to be doing wonderfully.  According to his owner he still acts like a ten-year-old and still loves his job and gets bored without something to do.  Exactly what you want to hear about a horse you love!  Sigh.  Today was a good day.

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see an older horse taken care of in retirement - he's very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such GREAT news! I didn't know that you had worked with Tucker's dad! I adore that concept (Sprinkler used to ride Izzy's mom!). I can't wait to hear about your reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is wonderful! Thanks for sharing that story it has put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love horse people. They can be so nice and understanding, both about expensive trips and visiting old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so great! And to be so close is just amazing! I can't wait to hear about your visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.