Monday, November 16, 2009

All better

I am happy to report that Tucker and I went for a very light hack yesterday morning and he felt 100%. (So, for now, at least, you are all saved from endless pictures of fluffy kittens snuggling with large-eared warmbloods).


Last week, I had lunged him on Thursday night and he just didn't look quite right (but I was too afraid to blog about it on Friday the 13th due to fear of a jinx -- just ask Jane). He wasn't lame and his footfalls sounded even, and he appeared comfortable, but when I watched his right hind vs. his left hind, he wasn't tracking up as well on the right. It was very slight, maybe only an inch difference. I thought it might have been the Elastikon bandage bothering him a little, but his ankle also could have been still a little tender. I figured I'd give him the benefit of a full week of recovery just in case.

Sunday morning I got to the barn early and helped turnout and feed, and then rode Tucker and Summer. The cut looked normal, with a healthy scab, no swelling or redness and no heat. And Tucker felt loose and forward and happy to be working again. Alicia watched him go and thought he looked good. So we've officially survived the fetlock scrape of 2009. Phew.

Even though all I did was walk with Summer, she was fun too. She's the perfect size for me (at least a hand shorter than Tucker) and she is absolutely gorgeous -- shame on me for not taking pictures. I'll have to try and take some. She was very quiet and relaxed and seems to have a nice mouth and good response to your leg aids. Pretty good for a girl who's been on the long recovery road for a few months!

Tucker met with his chiropractor today and got some adjustments. Dr. M often comments that he's incredibly sound behind and I was happy to hear the same thing today, so really no worries about the right hind. He did need adjusting up near his poll which I had anticipated because I noticed on Sunday that when he was stretching long and low he was tilting his head (ears to the right, muzzle to the left) which is something he does when he needs to be adjusted.

Here's a (rough, lawyer's attempt) sketch of what was adjusted:




No idea if that's going to be legible, but he had the Atlas on the right and C3 on the left adjusted (near his poll) and C15 in his back, behind the saddle but before his roach. One of Tucker's several conformation flaws is a roached back (vertebrae that curve upward and stick out from his back). You can just make out the bump in the picture -- it's just behind where I've marked c15 (at my best estimate). Dr. M said that usually horses with a roached back will have some discomfort there but it doesn't appear to bother Tucker at all, which is great. He also said the adjustment in C15 wasn't related to saddle fit, which is a relief since I spent a lot of money on that saddle not too long ago!

So all is back to good in the world of Tucker!

5 comments:

  1. Glad Tucker's feeling all better - and chiro will even improve that - he's a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear the Tucker is feeling better. I'm sure he feels great after his chiropractor adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous that he poses. If I try to get Izzy to stand like that, she comes over to see what's happening.

    Does the roached back give you any saddle fitting troubles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Tucker's roach doesn't give me any trouble, though his very high and narrow wither requires some special padding. I don't know what his entire spine would look like, but the portion that sticks out, so to speak, occurs well behind where the saddle sits, just ahead of his hips. I would guess though that for other horses, if the roached portion is longer or occurs nearer to their wither, it could create a lot of difficulties.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.