Monday, August 31, 2009

Julie update

Just writing to say that Julie is going to be moving to Stones Throw Farm in Florida. Her health certificate and coggins are being drawn today, and she'll be making the big journey on Thursday night. I've decided that I just don't have the time required to spend on her, to make sure that she gets a good start and regular, professional attention, and that's not fair to her.  I'm still not sure whether I'll be keeping her in the longrun, but I think this is the best thing to do in order to give her the best possible future, whether it's with me or with someone else (still feels like I'm giving up, a little, but Wendy has helped me to see that's not such a bad thing sometimes). I'll keep you posted...

3 comments:

  1. I don't think it's giving up at all. Finding the right horse is like finding the right mate. I feel like Possum and I had an arranged relationship haha, and maybe that's what I need in a guy, who knows...

    But seriously, this just may not be the mare for you. I personally am not a mare person, and it would take a pretty special mare to disuade me differently. Your doing the best by Julie in getting her trained and easier to handle so that her chances of getting a great home if that is what you decide increase greatly. SOmetimes it's harder to know when to let a horse go, then to hold onto one. Trust your gut. I have complete faith that whatever you decide the horse will have the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really impressed with how you assessed the situation, found solutions, and made a commitment to Julie to put her need ahead of your expectations...that is so tough to do. Even if it feels like giving up for you, for Julie it's, as has been already said, giving her the opportunity to maximize all the potential that you gave her with your breeding choice.

    And who knows how it will be when you go down to visit her...? That will be an answer for another post, perhaps. Have you decided if she's going for just a month, or for the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your thoughtful comments, I really appreciate it! I do think it's the right decision, just a tough one to make. And you're all correct that I should reassess the situation in a month or so. I haven't decided how long she'll stay. I think I'm going to plan a trip down there some time in October and make some more decisions at that point. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.