Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Big moves

I won my first trial today, which is what's been keeping me so busy and has led to the recent lack of posting! Yes, little junior associate me, with a real judge, in a real courtroom, all on my own, cross-examining, moving documents into evidence, making a closing argument. . . I have to admit, I'm a little impressed with myself right now! At big firms, junior associates don't get these opportunities too often, so I'm really glad this came up (exisiting client of the firm, gets involved in small dispute, gets handed down to junior associate to resolve at low cost).

Luckily, all of this means that I am going to be free to see Tucker tonight! Yay! I had a great ride on Saturday morning and I'm hoping tonight the rain will hold off long enough and I'll be able to ride him outside again. He is so lovely outside in the big ring.

Hopefully I'll have a good Tucker report to deliver tomorrow. . . horse show this weekend at Duncraven so we're in prep mode. I think tonight we'll work on some lead changes. I like to set up a ground pole at the end of the ring on the diagonal so he does the whole change in one step. Even though in the hunter ring, it's acceptable to change the back one stride after the front, he seems on his way to doing clean changes in both directions so I like to try and encourage that.

In other news. . . Julie and I have found a new place to live! My new apartment is a renovated 1700's carriage house with exposed beams that I just adore, set on a 26 acre farm. There is a little 5 stall barn currently housing 3 older geldings who seem just mellow enough to tolerate a bouncy little spotted thing in their fields. Here is a view of the barn and one of the turnout paddocks. There is also a ring and a cross-country course, though I'm thinkin' Miss Julie won't be needing those for another few years.


We're planning to split the horses up into two groups of two once we figure out which one of the geldings tolerates her best. I'm really hoping it will work out for her because seeing her every day will be such a treat! Of course, if not, the owner of the farm where she lives now is kind enough to offer that she's welcome back any time. Unfortunately, the cute little pony in this picture isn't around anymore (though my long-legged filly probably would have towered over him), but this will be the view from my kitchen window! I can't tell you how excited I am.

And, a big thank you so much to all of you who said such nice things about my horses and my blog and me after receiving the award last week. I am truly touched!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new place! When do you move? And we will have to meet at Inn of the Hawke for burgers and drinks to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the lawyering win! And on the new place to live - looks great for people and horses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! Well Done on winning your trial!!!! Have a lovely ride on Tucker tonight and I am extremely jealous of where you are going to live. It looks beautiful! Can you take Tucker with you as well? Julie will love seeing you on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes! I will definitely meet you at the Inn for burgers and drinks! Two of my favorite things.... I move in August 1st. I decided not to bring Tucker with me because he's in a really good program right now with Alicia. She does training rides on him for me during the week and I wouldn't want to miss out on that. But if he ever needs a show horse vacation, I'd definitely consider bringing him home. Can't wait to move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the win!And the new digs sound fantastic. If I could conjure up a dream residence, that would probably be it. Need any more room mates?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love reading them! If you have a question, I will make sure to get back to you.